Junior Player – Selection Policy
This policy demonstrates Haslemere’s commitment to the development of our young players as the future of our club and hockey in general. The policy aims to ensure our young members are given every opportunity to reach their full potential whatever level that may be (international, regional, county, social or otherwise).
Specifically, Haslemere Hockey Club will:
- Take a long term view of the development of all its young players in line with the principles of and adopted within England Hockey Player Pathway.
- Abide by the England Hockey centralised calendar and the priority this provides to ensure that young players at each stage of their development are given the opportunity to play and train at the right level for them without being overplayed.
- Select players in line with the principles outlined in England Hockey’s Equality Policy, ‘RESPECT’ Code of Ethics & Behaviour and ‘SafeD’ Safeguarding and Protecting Young People in Hockey Policy adopted by this club.
- Abide by England Hockey recommendations regarding player eligibility and competition rules.
- As much as practically possible, peer group teams will ensure each squad member is given as equal as possible an amount of pitch time per match or per event to ensure every individual has the opportunity to develop. Winning is important but is a short term gain.
- Not call upon young players for adult only competition until it is in the best interest of the young player. If an adult team is short and the only option is a young player who is not ready either physically, mentally or socially, then the adult team will play short.
- Enforce that a player must have reached the age of 13 to be eligible to play in adult only competition.
- Enforce the England Hockey League (EHL) regulation stating that a player must have reached the age of 15 to be eligible to be registered to play in the EHL.
- Give careful consideration with young players eligible to be involved in adult teams to ensure the distance travelled is proportional to the likely pitch time for the young player. As a guide, it is suggested players who will play less than half a game should not travel for longer than 60 minutes.
Last edited August 2017